Eldon E. Geisert, Ph.D.
Department of Ophthalmology
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
Vision Science Research Center
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Hamilton Eye Institute
930 Madison Avenue, Suite 710
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-7740
Fax: (901) 448-7193
Email: Eldon E. Geisert
- Ph.D. Institution: University of Wisconsin, Madison, Department of Neuroscience
- Postdoctoral: University of Wisconsin, Madison, Department of Psychology
At the present time my research laboratory has two specific interests. The first is defining the molecular mechanisms governing the response of the retina to injury. We are using the methods of immunology, molecular biology, microarray technology and protein chemistry, to understand the response of the retina to injury and to define key regulatory elements. The functional roles of candidate proteins is tested in tissue culture models using AAV delivered siRNA and antibody perturbation as well as and intact animal models using transgenic methods. Currently we have identified to genetic networks that appear to regulate the susceptibility of neurons to death and regeneration of axons. Defining the genetic networks activated by injury will aid in understanding the mechanisms controlling promoting neuronal survival and axon regeneration.
The second major interest of the laboratory involves a novel molecule that selectively kills the most virulent form of brain cancer, glioblastoma. A chance discovery in collaboration with Dr. Duane Miller has led us to a point where we are testing the effectiveness of a specific compound in killing brain cancer. This finding has led to sever4al patents and the formation of a private incubator company.
- Templeton JP, Wang X, Freeman NE, Ma Z, Lu A, Hejtmancik F, Geisert EE. A crystallin gene network in the mouse retina. Exp Eye Res. 2013 Nov;116:129-40. doi: 10.1016/j.exer.2013.08.001. Epub 2013 Aug 24. PubMed PMID: 23978599.
- Templeton JP, Freeman NE, Nickerson JM, Jablonski MM, Rex TS, Williams RW, Geisert EE. Innate immune network in the retina activated by optic nerve crush. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Apr 9;54(4):2599-606. doi: 10.1167/iovs.12-11175. PubMed PMID: 23493296; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3629889.
- Munguba GC, Geisert EE, Williams RW, Tapia ML, Lam DK, Bhattacharya SK, Lee RK. Effects of glaucoma on Chrna6 expression in the retina. Curr Eye Res. 2013 Jan;38(1):150-7. doi: 10.3109/02713683.2012.724512. Epub 2012 Sep 24. PubMed PMID: 23002780.
- Templeton JP, Geisert EE. A practical approach to optic nerve crush in the mouse. Mol Vis. 2012;18:2147-52. Epub 2012 Jul 27. PubMed PMID: 22876142; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3413441.
- Hines-Beard J, Marchetta J, Gordon S, Chaum E, Geisert EE, Rex TS. A mouse model of ocular blast injury that induces closed globe anterior and posterior pole damage. Exp Eye Res. 2012 Jun;99:63-70. doi: 10.1016/j.exer.2012.03.013. Epub 2012 Apr 7. PubMed PMID: 22504073.
- Wang XD, Freeman NE, Patil R, Patil SA, Mitra S, Orr WE, Abner CW, Yates CR, Miller DD, Geisert EE. EDL-291, a novel isoquinoline, presents antiglioblastoma effects in vitro and in vivo. Anticancer Drugs. 2012 Jun;23(5):494-504. doi: 10.1097/CAD.0b013e328351ee4f. PubMed PMID: 22391460.