Edward Chaum, M.D., Ph.D.
Plough Foundation Professor
of Retinal Diseases
Department of Ophthalmology
Department of Pediatrics
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
Department of Biomedical Engineering
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Hamilton Eye Institute
930 Madison Avenue, Suite 731
Memphis, TN 38163
Tel: (901) 448-5975
Email: Edward Chaum
- Ph.D. Institution: Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
- M.D. Institution: Cornell University Medical College
The focus of the basic science research program in our laboratory is in five major areas:
- Translational research in the development and application of gene therapy to the treatment of retina degenerative diseases,
- Tissue engineering approaches to understanding and modulating the growth, aging and wound healing responses of ocular retinal pigment epithelial cells (RPE),
- Molecular analyses of retinal pigment epithelial cell responses to oxidative stress,
- Characterization of a newly discovered IGF binding protein regulatory system in the RPE, and
- Tele-ophthalmology and automated diagnostics
Other areas of active research include collaborations on numerous pilot basic science and clinical projects with investigations into:
- Genomic analysis of RPE gene expression,
- The role of CD81 in proliferative vitreoretinopathy, wound healing and retinal detachment,
- The role of Arf gene mutations in the developmental eye anomaly persistent fetal vasculature,
- Electrochemical quantification of blood metabolites and drugs, and
- Nanotechnology applications in retinal surgery, and
- Clinical research studies.
- Paquit VC, Karnowski TP, Aykac D, Li Y, Tobin KW Jr, Chaum E. Detecting flash artifacts in fundus imagery. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2012;2012:1442-5. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6346211. PubMed PMID: 23366172.
- Bhattacharya S, Chaum E, Johnson DA, Johnson LR. Age-related susceptibility to apoptosis in human retinal pigment epithelial cells is triggered by disruption of p53-Mdm2 association. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012 Dec 19;53(13):8350-66. doi: 10.1167/iovs.12-10495. PubMed PMID: 23139272.
- Garg S, Jani PD, Kshirsagar AV, King B, Chaum E. Telemedicine and retinal imaging for improving diabetic retinopathy evaluation. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Nov 26;172(21):1677-8. PubMed PMID: 23026969.
- Kivlehan F, Garay F, Guo J, Chaum E, Lindner E. Toward feedback-controlled anesthesia: voltammetric measurement of propofol (2,6-diisopropylphenol) in serum-like electrolyte solutions. Anal Chem. 2012 Sep 18;84(18):7670-6. doi: 10.1021/ac3006878. Epub 2012 Aug 31. PubMed PMID: 22900668.
- Hines-Beard J, Marchetta J, Gordon S, Chaum E, Geisert EE, Rex TS. A mouse model of ocular blast injury that induces closed globe anterior and posterior pole damage. Exp Eye Res. 2012 Jun;99:63-70. doi: 10.1016/j.exer.2012.03.013. Epub 2012 Apr 7. PubMed PMID: 22504073.
- Santos-Villalobos H, Karnowski TP, Aykac D, Giancardo L, Li Y, Nichols T, Tobin KW Jr, Chaum E. Statistical characterization and segmentation of drusen in fundus images. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011;2011:6236-41. doi: 10.1109/IEMBS.2011.6091540. PubMed PMID: 22255764.