Georgios Tsivgoulis , M.D., Ph.D., MSc, FESO
Assistant Professor of Neurology
University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Visiting Associate Professor of Neurology
Director of Stroke Research
Department of Neurology, UTHSC
Qualifications and Training
- MD (1999) - Medical Doctor, School of Medicine, Aristotelion University of Thessaloniki (1993-1999, Outstanding Degree, Honors)
- Medical license (1999), Athens, Board of Medical Examiners
- Certification in Neurology (2006), Athens, Board of Neurology Examiners
- Residency training (2001-2005):
- Resident of Internal Medicine, Acute Stroke Unit of Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Alexandra Hospital, University of Athens (2001-2002, Head of the Department: Professor Mavrikakis Myron/ Head of the Acute Stroke Unit: Vemmos Konstantinos).
- Resident of Neurology, Department of Neurology, Eginition Hospital, University of Athens (2002-2005, Head of the Department: Professor Vassilopoulos Demetrios)/ Member of the Stroke Team of Eginition Hospital (2003-2005, Head of the Stroke Team: Lecturer Spengos Konstantinos)
- PhD in Vascular Pathophysiology (2002-2005) University of Athens, Greece, PhD Supervisor: Professor Mavrikakis Myron MD, PhD (Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Alexandra Hospital, University of Athens, Greece).
- Fellowship training (2006-2007): Stroke /Neurosonology
- Supervisor: Professor Andrei V. Alexandrov, Director of Comprehensive Stroke Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Neurology & Director of Stroke Research, UAB Comprehensive Stroke Center (2008-2013), Birmingham, AL
- Neurosonology (2006) - Comprehensive Proficiency certification (Ultrasound Physics, Carotid Duplex, ), The American Society of Neuroimaging, USA
- Registered Vascular Technologist (2007), American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS Registry Number: 120933)
- National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale Certificate of Training (UCSD Stroke Center, San Diego, California, 2003-2006)
- Modified Rankin Scale Certificate of Training (University of Glasgow, United Kingdom, 2004)
- BST 625, Summer Course of Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham (Grade A, 2007)
- 34th AHA Seminar on Epidemiology and Cardiovascular Disease Protection (Tahoe, California, US, August 2008)
- Hands-on, seven-day neurosonology course on applications of Transcranial Color Duplex in the diagnosis of movement disorders (Department of Neurology, University of Tubingen, Germany, Course Director: Professor Daniela Berg, 2008)
- Hands-on, seven-day Course on therapeutic applications of Botulinum Toxin in the Treatment of Spasticity (Ospedale Valduce-Villa Beretta Rehabilitation Center, Costamasnaga , Italy, Course Director: Professor Franco Molteni, 2011)
- Master of Science (Magister Artium) in Management of Health Sevices, University of Cyprus (2009-2011)
- 188 papers published in PubMed: 104 original articles (First Author: 32, Second Author: 26, Senior Author: 10), 46 case reports, 25 review articles&editorials, 13 letters, 210 abstracts (original papers presented at major scientific meetings) published in refereed journals (First Author: 79, Second Author: 56, Senior Author: 3) and 7 book chapters
- 40 invited lectures in International Conferences and International Neurological Institutions
- Total Impact Factor of Papers: 806.318 (ISI 2012), Mean Impact Factor: 4.455 (ISI 2012), Total Impact Factor of Original Articles (ISI 2012): 404.452
- Total Impact Factor of Abstracts published in refereed Journals: 955.780
- Number of Citations (Scopus/ISI): 2398, H-Index: 27 (First author in 12 publications included in the H-Index list, Second Author in 6 publications included in the H-Index list)
Department of Neurology
415 Link Building
855 Monroe Avenue
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Phone: (901) 448-6199
Fax: (901) 448-7440
David M. Stern, M.D.
Andrei V. Alexandrov, M.D.
Chairman, Department of Neurology