Michael Jacewicz, M.D.
Professor, Department of Neurology
Director, Residency Program
- B.S. - Harvard University, 1973
- M.D. - Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, 1978
- Intern - Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Cleveland, 1978-1979
- Fellow - Cerebral Metabolism Lab, Cornell U. Medical College, 1979-1980
- Resident - Neurology, New York Hospital, Cornell U. Medical College, 1980-1983
- Fellow - Cerebrovascular Research Center, Cornell U. Medical College, 1983-1988
- Assistant Professor - Dept. of Neurology & Neurosciences, Cornell, 1988-1992
- Assistant Professor - Department of Neurology, UTHSC, 1992-1994
- Associate Professor - Department of Neurology, UTHSC, 1994-2001
- Professor - Department of Neurology, UTHSC, 2001-present
- Chief of Neurology - Regional Medical Center, Memphis, 1992-1999
- Assistant Chief of Neurology - VA Medical Center, Memphis, 1999- present
- Director of Residency Training - Department of Neurology, UTHSC, 1992-present
Professional Certification & Licensing
- Diplomate American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 1984
- Medical License New York, 1979
- Medical License Tennessee, 1992
- Medical License Mississippi, 1995
Clinical Subspecialty Expertise
Stroke, Cerebrovascular Disease, Cardiac Arrest, Metabolic Brain Disease
I am collaborating in several clinical trials involving stroke and multiple sclerosis. As the residency training program director, I am also interested in the development of novel educational tools for the training of Neurology residents and medical students.
Jacewicz, M., M. Kiessling, and W.A. Pulsinelli (1986) Selective gene expression in focal cerebral ischemia. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 6:263-272.
Jacewicz, M., and F. Plum (1990) Aseptic cerebral venous thrombosis. K. Einhaupl, O. Kempski, and A. Baethmann (eds): Cerebral Sinus Thrombosis. New York: Plenum Press, pp.157-170.
Jacewicz, M. (1991) Endarterectomy protects against stroke in symptomatic patients with carotid artery stenosis. Cardiovasc. Rev. Report 12: 21-23.
Jacewicz, M. (1992) Editorial: Hypertension in SHR and predisposition to cerebral infarction. Hypertension 19: 47-48.
Pulsinelli, W. A., and M. Jacewicz (1992) Animal models of brain ischemia. In: Stroke Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management, 2nd Ed. H. J. M. Barnett, J. P. Mohr, B. M. Stein and F. M. Yatsu (eds.), New York: Churchill Livingston.
Smith, D., S. Lucas, and M. Jacewicz (1993) Multiple cerebral hemorrhages in HTLV-1 associated myelopathy. Neurol. 43: 412-414.
Nowak, T. S., and M. Jacewicz (1994) The heat shock/stress response in focal cerebral ischemia. Brain Path. 4: 67-76.
Jacewicz, M. (1997) Ischemia-modulating and Neuro-protective Drugs. Journal of Tennessee Medical Association 90: 411-413.
Ruckenstein, M.J., K. McKown and M. Jacewicz (2000) Unusual and instructive case of immune-mediated inner ear disease with central nervous system vasculitis. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 122: 109-111.
Huang, Z, M Jacewicz, and R Pfeiffer (2002). Anticardiolipin antibody in vascular parkinsonism. Movement Disorders. 17:992-7.
Kamiya T, M Jacewicz, TS Nowak and WA Pulsinelli (2005). Cerebral blood flow thresholds for mRNA synthesis after focal ischemica and the effect of MK-801. Stroke. 36:2463-2467.
Jacewicz, M. Neurologic Disorders - Approach to the Patient (2006). M. Beers (ed): The Merck Manual, 18th ed. Rahway: Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse Station, NJ pp 1748-1758.
Jacewicz, M. Brain infections (2006). M. Beers (ed): The Merck Manual, 18th ed. Rahway: Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories. Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse Station, NJ, pp 1850-1857.
Jacewicz, M. Meningitis (2006). M. Beers (ed): The Merck Manual, 18th ed. Rahway: Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories. Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse Station, NJ, pp 1858-1866.
Jacewicz, M. Neuro-ophthalmologic and Cranial Nerve Disorders (2006). M. Beers (ed): The Merck Manual, 18th ed. Rahway: Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories. Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse Station, NJ, pp 1867-1876.
Department of Neurology
855 Monroe Ave, Suite 415
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Phone: (901) 448-6199
Fax: (901) 448-7440
Andrei V. Alexandrov, MD
Department of Neurology
Marc Malkoff, MD
Residency Training Program Director
Adult Neurology Residency
Phone: (901) 448-6661
Fax: (901) 448-7440