Dominic M. Desiderio, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Neurology
Professor, Department of Molecular Sciences
Director, Charles B. Stout Neuroscience Mass Spectrometry Laboratory
- B.A. - University of Pittsburgh, 1961
- M.S. - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1964
- PH.D. - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1965
- Research Chemist - University of Pittsburgh, 1960-1961
- Teaching Assistant - MIT, 1961-1962
- Polymer Chemist - BASF, Germany, 1962
- Research Assistant - MIT, 1962-1965
- Research Chemist - American Cyanamid Co., CT, 1966-1967
- Assist. Chem. Prof. - Institute Lipid Research, Baylor, 1967-1971
- Assoc. Chem. Prof. - Institute Lipid Research, Baylor, 1971-1978
- Neurology Professor - UTHSC, 1978-present
- NIH Study Section - Metallobiochemistry, 1984-1989
- Biochem. Professor - UTHSC, 1985-present
Our current research program uses state-of-the-art proteomics to probe the molecular details of human tissues (pituitary) and fluids (CSF). Differentially expressed proteins, phosphoproteins, and nitroproteins are the targets for this research. We have compared the proteome and transcriptome of human pituitary adenomas, and have developed mass spectrometry-based high-specificity, high-selectivity detection methods for our proteomics studies. Several nitroproteins have been discovered.
240. Beranova-Giorgianni, S., Pabst, M.J., Russell, T.M., Giorgianni, F., Goldowitz, D., Desiderio, D.M. Preliminary analysis of the mouse cerebellum proteome. Molecular Brain Research 98:135-140, (2002).
241. Wohabrebbi, A., Umstot, E.S., Iannaccone, A., Desiderio, D.M., Jablonski, M.M. Downregulation of a unique photoreceptor protein correlates with improper outer segment assembly. J. Neurosci. Res. 67, 298-308, (2002).
242. Yuan, X., Russell, T., Wood, G., and Desiderio, D.M. Analysis of the human lumbar cerebrospinal fluid proteome. Electrophoresis 23, 1185-1196 (2002).
243. Yuan, X. and Desiderio, D.M. Protein identification with Teflon as a MALDI sample support. J. Mass Spectrom. 37, 512-524, (2002).
244. Beranova-Giorgianni, S., Giorgianni, F., and Desiderio, D.M. Analysis of the proteome in the human pituitary. Proteomics 2, 534-542 (2002).
245. Levin, M.C., Lee, S.M., Kalume, F., Morcos, Y., Dohan, Jr., F.C., Hasty, K.A., Callaway, J.C., Zunt, J., Desiderio, D.M., Stuart, J.M. Autoimmunity due to molecular mimicry as a cause of neurologic disease. Nature Medicine 8, 509-513, (2002).
246. Giorgianni, F., Desiderio, D.M. and Beranova-Giorgianni, S. Proteome analysis using isoelectric focusing in immobilized pH gradient gels. Electrophoresis 24, 253-259 (2003).
247. Haibao Wan and D. M. Desiderio. Quantification of [Dmt1]DALDA in ovine plasma by on-line liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 17, 538-546, (2003).
248. Xianquan Zhan and D. M. Desiderio. A reference map of a human pituitary adenoma proteome. Proteomics 3, 699-713 (2003).
249. Xianquan Zhan and D. M. Desiderio. Differences of the spatial and quantitative reproducibility between two second-dimension gel electrophoresis systems. Electrophoresis 24, 1834-1846 (2003).
250. Xianquan Zhan and D. M. Desiderio. Spot Volume versus amount of proteins loaded onto a gel. A detailed, statistical comparison of two gel electrophoresis systems. Electrophoresis 24, 1818-1833 (2003).
251. Gadgil, H.S., Pabst, K.M., Giorgianni, F., Umstot, E.S., Desiderio, D.M., Beranova-Giorgianni, S., Gerling, I.C., Pabst, M.J. Proteome of monocytes primed with lipopolysaccharide: Analysis of the abundant proteins. Proteomics 3, 1767-1780 (2003).
252. Xianguan Zhan and D. M. Desiderio. The human pituitary proteome: The characterization of differentially expressed proteins in an adenoma compared to a control. Molecular & Cellular Biology 49, 689-712 (2003).
253. Xianquan Zhan and D. M. Desiderio. Heterogeneity analysis of the human pituitary proteome. Clinical Chemistry 49, 1740-1751 (2003).
254. Terry, Doris and D. M. Desiderio. Between-gel reproducibility of the human cerebrospinal fluid proteome. Proteomics 3, 1962-1979 (2003).
255. Yuan, Xianglin and D. M. Desiderio. Proteomics analysis of phosphotyrosyl-proteins in human lumbar cerebrospinal fluid. Journal of Proteome Research 2, 476-487 (2003).
256. Zhan, Xianquan, Evans, Chheng-Orn, Oyesiku, Nelson M., and Desiderio, Dominic M. Proteomics and transcriptomics analyses of secretagogin down-regulation in human non-functional pituitary adenomas. Pituitary 6, 189-202 (2003).
257. Wan, H., Umstot, E.S., Szeto, H., Schiller, P.W., and Desiderio, D.M. Quantitative analysis of [Dmt1]DALDA in ovine plasma by capillary liquid chromatography/nanospray ion-trap mass spectrometry. J. Chromatrg B 803, 83-90 (2004).
258. Giorgianni, Francesco, Sarka Beranova-Giorgianni, and Dominic M. Desiderio. Identification and Characterization of Phosphorylated Proteins in the Human Pituitary. Proteomics 4, 587-598 (2004).
259. Terry, Doris, Edward Umstot, and D. M. Desiderio. Optimized Sample-Processing Time and Peptide Recovery for the Mass Spectrometric Analysis of Protein Digests. J. Amer. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 15, 784-794 (2004).
260. Yuan, Xianglin and Desiderio, D.M. Human cerebrospinal fluid peptidomics. J. Mass Spectrom. 40, 176-181 (2005).
261. Yuan, Xianglin and Desiderio, D.M. Proteomics analysis of prefractionated human lumbar cerebrospinal fluid. Proteomics. 5, 541-550 (2005).
262. Yuan, X. and Desiderio, D.M. Proteomics analysis of human cerebrospinal fluid. J. Chrom. B. Anal.Tech. Biomed. Life Sci. 815, 179-180 (2005).
263. Giorgianni, F., Cappiello, A., Palma, P. Beranova-Giorgianni, S., Desiderio, D.M. LC-MS/MS analysis of peptides with methanol as organic modifier: improved limit of detection. Anal. Chem. 76, 7028-7038 (2004).
264. Zhan. X and Desiderio, D.M. The human pituitary nitroproteome. Detection of nitrotyrosyl-proteins with two-dimensional Western blotting, and characterization with mass spectrometry. Biochem Biophys. Res. Commun. 325, 1180-1186 (2004).
265. Zhan, X. and Desiderio, D.M. Comparative proteomics analysis of human pituitary adenomas: current status and future perspectives. Mass Spectrom. Rev. 23, 1-35 (2004).
266. Desiderio, D.M. and Zhan, X. The human pituitary proteome: the characterization of differentially expressed proteins in an adenoma compared to a control. Cellular Molecular Biology 49, 681-688 (2003).
267. Zhan, X., Giorgianni, F., and Desiderio, D.M. Proteomics analysis of growth hormone isoforms in the human pituitary. Proteomics 5, 1228-1241 (2005).
268. Lenchik, N.I., Desiderio, D.M., and Gerling, I. Two-dimensional gel electrophoresis characterization of the mouse leukocyte proteome, using a tri-reagent for protein extraction. Proteomics 5, 2202-2209 (2005).
269. Giorgianni, F., Desiderio, D.M., and Beranova-Giorgianni, S. Proteome analysis using isoelectric focusing in immobilized pH gradient gels followed by mass spectrometry. Electrophoresis 24, 253-259 (2003).
270. X. Li, T. Bürklen, X. Yuan, U. Schlattner, D. M. Desiderio, T. Wallimann, and R. Homayouni. Stabilization of ubiquitous mitochondrial creatine kinase preprotein by APP family proteins. J. Biol. Chem. In press.
271. Evans, C-O., Moreno, C.S., Zhan, X., Okor, M., Desiderio, D.M., and Oyesiku, N.M. Molecular Classification of human clinically non-functional pituitary adenomas. Cancer Research 65, 10214-10222 (2005).
272. Zhan, X. and Desiderio, D.M. Nitroproteins from a human pituitary adenoma tissue discovered with a nitrotyrosine affinity column and tandem mass spectrometry. Analyt. Biochem. 354, 279-289 (2006).
273. Zhan. X. and Desiderio D.M. Linear ion-trap mass spectrometric characterization of human pituitary nitrotyrosine-containing proteins" Don Hunt Special Issue. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. In press.
274. Beranova-Giorgianni, S., Zhao, Y., Desiderio, D.M., and Giorgianni, F. Phosphoproteomic analysis of the human pituitary. Pituitary. DOI: 10.1007/s11102-006-8916-x.
Andrei V. Alexandrov, M.D.
Department of Neurology
Department of Neurology
855 Monroe Ave, Suite 415
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Phone: (901) 448-6199
Fax: (901) 448-7440