What is SKYPE ?
Skype is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) application that allows you to make calls over the Internet
Use of Skype is NOT recommended
Skype and similar VOIP products lack:
- Quality - you will experience lower quality of service using a data network for voice traffic.
- Support - no support for this product is provided by the UTHSC.
Can I use Skype on the UTHSC network ?
You can use Skype if you follow these three guidelines:
- You must be a current UT student, faculty or staff member.
- Use Skype only when you want to make a call.
- Turn off Skype when not in use -- closing the window is NOT enough!
How do I turn off Skype?
First, find the Skype icon in your system tray at the lower right corner of your screen that looks like a green circle, like this:
Next, turn off Skype: Right click the Skype icon and choose Quit from the menu:
IT Security Group
877 Madison Ave
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Confidential Compliance Hotline: