A bachelors degree is not a requirement for admission to the Master of Occupational Therapy Program. To be eligible, applicants must meet the following requirements:
Completion of the following 90 credit hours of pre-requisite coursework with a grade of C or better in each course: (The biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry and physics/applied kinesiology courses must be taken within the last five years and each must include a laboratory component. Higher level science courses may be substituted if current.) No credit is awarded for prior experiential learning to meet the prerequisite requirements. All prerequisite courses must be completed by August preceding the January admission, effective with students entering January 2015.
Prerequisite Requirements Credit Hours General Biology (or Zoology) 8 Anatomy & Physiology 8 General Chemistry 4 Kinesiology 3 English Composition 6 Oral Communication 3 General Psychology 3 Lifespan Psychology (or Human Growth and Development) 3 Abnormal Psychology 3 General Sociology 3 Anthropology 3 Humanities 9 Statistics 3 Medical Terminology 1 Electives 30 Total 90
- Course content MUST cover conception to death. Two psychology courses may be required to fulfill the across the lifespan requirement at some institutions.
- Recommended courses to complete the nine credit hours include foreign language (Spanish preferred), philosophy, logic, ethics, literature, and/or fine arts.
- Recommended courses include: computer/technology skills, kinesiology, education, technical or critical writing, logic, fine and performing arts, language and communication systems, philosophy, and industrial arts or activity-based courses (e.g., woodworking, ceramics, photography). No more than four credits in activity-based courses are acceptable.
Minimum grade point average (GPA) to apply is 3.0. A lower GPA may be considered with an exceptional score on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). A minimum score of 3.5 is required on the analytical portion of the GRE. If a required course is repeated both grades are used in the GPA calculation for the cumulative GPA. The credit hours assigned to the course may be counted only once in fulfilling the required number of hours.
Satisfactory score on the GRE taken within the last five years. The highest score in each category will be considered if the test has been taken more than once.
Completed application through the OT Centralized Application Service (OTCAS) www.otcas.org on or before March 1 of the year prior to the January start date. The student will submit all official transcripts to OTCAS. In addition to coursework completed, the student will report the following information on OTCAS on or before March 1:
- Plan for completion of remaining pre-requisite coursework no later than September 1
- GRE Scores
- Three professional or academic references (occupational therapist preferred)
- Volunteer observation hours
- Leadership experiences
Official transcripts and GRE scores must also be submitted to the UTHSC OT Admissions Committee along with proof of at least 40 observation hours in a minimum of two different (OT) settings on or before March 1 prior to the January start date.
Proof of the following is required by October 1 prior to January start date:
- Ability to meet published technical standards of the College of Allied Health Sciences and the Master of Occupational Therapy degree program
- Background check
- Health insurance
- Transcripts showing completion of all pre-requisites with a C or better grade
Coursework from another occupational therapy program may not be transferred to meet the requirements for admission to or graduation from the program.
Application Deadline: March 5 for the following January admission.
Application Deadline for the Master’s in Occupational Therapy is March 5 in Memphis. Applications must be completed online. Click here to apply.
Versions of the following forms must be completed and electronically submitted to OTCAS.*
*Note: OTCAS includes proprietary forms that must be used for consistency across campuses and OT programs.
930 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163