Student Opportunities

Interested in Working in the Language and Literacy Lab (L3)?


Volunteering in L3 is a great way to become familiar with the lab and to get hands-on experience with research involving language and literacy development and disorders. Volunteers may contribute to the lab in many ways, including but not limited to: stimulus development, data collection, data processing, and clerical work. If you are interested in volunteering in L3, please email Dr. Schwarz or Dr. McCarthy at

Independent Study

Undergraduate and graduate students may register for independent study and receive course credit for assisting with research in L3. The independent study activities will vary depending on lab needs and the student's educational goals. Activities may involve one or more of the following:

  • study preparation (e.g., literature reviews, IRB application, stimulus preparation, piloting tasks, recruiting subjects)
  • data collection
  • data processing and analysis
  • research dissemination (e.g., research poster preparation)

Interested students must obtain permission from Dr. Schwarz and Dr. McCarthy ( prior to registering for independent study.

Ph.D. Students

Ph.D. students are invited to participate in research in L3 as a volunteer, through an independent study, or as a member of the lab. If you are interested in conducting research in the Language and Literacy Lab please e-mail Dr. Schwarz.

Considering a Ph.D. in Speech and Hearing Science?

The Ph.D. program at UTHSC prepares students for academic careers, involving research and the scholarly study of the science of human communication and its disorders. The field of communication sciences and disorders is currently experiencing a shortage of individuals with Ph.D. degrees to replace retiring faculty. Therefore, the prospect of employment is excellent for strong Ph.D. graduates.

Ph.D. students may have a background in communication disorders or a related field, such as psychology, education, linguistics, neuroscience, or computer science. Some may have worked clinically as speech-language pathologists, whereas others may begin their doctoral training immediately after earning a bachelor's degree.

Students who are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. may be eligible for financial support from the Department of Communication Disorders.

If you would like more information about the UTHSC's doctoral program in Communication Disorders, please contact Dr. Tim Saltuklaroglu.

Helpful Links:

ASHA's FAQs about pursuing a Ph.D. in Communication Sciences and Disorders
ASHA's "Career Ladder" Resources
Ph.D. in Speech and Hearing Science

Contact Us

Augmentative and Alternative Communication and Literacy Lab (UT-AACL)

433 South Stadium Hall
Knoxville, TN 37996-0740