Tennessee HOPE Scholarship (TELS)
TELS recipients may transfer without a break in enrollment from an eligible postsecondary institution to UTHSC and remain eligible. Students must transfer the TELS award through the Student Financial Aid Portal prior to the transfer dates indicated below by institution type. A transfer request will not be accepted by a phone call from the student. For complete transfer information visit Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship Program.
Transfer dates for two-year & four-year institutions are as follows:
- Fall Semester - September 1
- Spring/Summer - February 1
Please complete and submit the Verification Opt-Out Form if you wish to only receive the Hope Scholarship. Submitting this form waives the Verification requirement for financial aid. By signing and submitting this form students will not receive any Federal or State Financial Aid except for the Hope Scholarship and/or Hope Merit Supplement.
- HOPE Scholarship Award Information and
Information on maintaining HOPE
- Information on appealing, or regaining
your Tennessee HOPE Scholarship
- Change of Enrollment Status
If a student drops from full-time to part-time within a semester without prior approval they may lose TELS eligibility. A student should submit a TELS Request for Change of Enrollment Status to the Financial Aid Office for approval before dropping to part-time. If a student fails to obtain prior approval, or if request for prior approval is denied and the student drops to part-time anyway, the TELS award for that semester will be prorated and the student will not be eligible for TELS in any subsequent semester.
- Request for Leave of Absence
If a student does not maintain continuous enrollment, defined as enrollment in both fall and spring semesters of an academic year, they may lose TELS eligibility. Exceptions may be made if the student is granted a Leave of Absence for certain documented medical or personal reasons. A student must submit the TELS Leave of Absence Request to the Financial Aid Office to obtain approval.
Tennessee HOPE Scholarship: Non-traditional Component
The non-traditional student must be a Tennessee resident, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be enrolled at an eligible postsecondary institution. In addition, the student must:
- Be age 25 or older, as an entering freshman in an eligible postsecondary institution or have not been enrolled for at least two (2) years after last attending any postsecondary institution and is now enrolled at an eligible postsecondary institution
- Must have parents’ or independent student’s and spouse’s adjusted gross income of $36,000 or less on IRS tax form
- Be continuously enrolled at an eligible postsecondary institution in the fall and spring semesters and maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 after 12 attempted semester hours or required GPA at subsequent benchmark
If you believe you meet these requirements, please submit the Non-Traditional HOPE Scholarship Request Form to the UTHSC Financial Aid Office.
Are you a Hope Scholarship recipient and thinking about taking Summer classes at another institution?
Students may choose to take classes at another institution and still receive their HOPE Scholarship from UTHSC, if otherwise eligible.
Visit the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation's web site for information on HOPE scholarship programs, application procedures, and deadlines.