Family Medicine Residency
Some practices are more challenging than others, but, if called, our residents should be secure in the knowledge that they could follow in the footsteps of the "family doctor" who could:
- Deliver a baby
- Provide newborn and lifelong care including preventive care, acute care, and care for chronic illnesses
- Manage simple fractures and treat minor injuries
- Repair simple lacerations and remove skin lesions
- Manage most patients' hospital care
- Provide competent women's health care
- Be a trusted friend and confidante
- When all else is done, comfort the dying
These family physicians represent a tradition of comprehensive excellence from the nursery to the nursing home. Our family physicians provide health care ranging from the emergency room to the delivery room and throughout the community.
The programs have developed and maintained a faculty with an outstanding national reputation for teaching excellence. This faculty group pioneered procedural teaching throughout the 1980's. In the past, UT-Family Medicine faculty and residents have received the Educational Excellence Award from the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine; President's Award/Grant from the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP); Kemp Publication Award from the AAFP; and the Golden Apple Award at The University of Tennessee.
The curriculum is organized to maximize the ability of Family Medicine graduates to obtain clinical privileges and develop leadership skills in rural and urban environments. These comprehensively trained family physicians are in extremely high demand. We invite your consideration.
Sharon Tabachnick, MSLS, PhD
St. Francis Family Medicine Center
1301 Primacy Parkway, Memphis, TN 38119