As part of the acceptance requirements for the Master of Dental Hygiene program, students are required to have access to a computer with the minimum recommended configuration and possess at least minimum capabilities for computer literacy. Computer literacy is knowledge and understanding of the personal computer beyond word processing the skill set necessary to efficiently utilize a personal computer for coursework. This includes, but is not restricted to,
- installing and configuring software;
- accessing the Internet (connecting via an Internet Service Provider);
- utilizing Internet resources such as email (sending and receiving messages, subscribing to listservs, opening attachments) and the World Wide Web;
- uploading and downloading files;
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, Excel, Microsoft Word
- a smart phone with texting capability for the online program
- printing; and
- troubleshooting common problems
Please note that the STUDENT is expected to possess these capabilities. If you do not possess these skills, and if you rely on others to do these things for you, then you can expect to experience some difficulties as you progress through your program of study.
Computer and Software Recommendations
Each student in the Master of Dental Hygiene program at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is required to have a computer and Internet access. Below is a list of hardware and software recommendations. You are strongly encouraged to ensure your hardware and software complies with or is more advanced than, these minimum recommendations. Your professors will be using similar hardware and software programs and will expect you to use them also.
UTHSC policy states that email is our official means of communication. Students must read email a minimum of once a day, 7 days per week.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
Processor: Intel Core i5 processor or higher
Processor Speed: 2.5GHz or faster
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
RAM/Memory: at least 4 GB
Hard Disk Capacity: at least 500GB
Monitor: At least 14
Multimedia capabilities: speaker and microphone (headset or built-in) and webcam (built-in or usb)
Minimum Hardware Requirements
Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus or Office Professional 2013 which includes the following programs:
- Word for word processing
- Excel for spreadsheets
- PowerPoint for presentations
- Access for database management
- Outlook for email, calendar, contact management, and tasks
This software is NOT free. However, UT sells this product at a discount to students. For more details and pricing, go to uthsc.edu/gen_store/
Antivirus software Recommended Microsoft Security Essentials. This can be downloaded for free at uthsc.edu/antivirus/students.php
Internet Browser Recommendations
The latest version of Firefox is recommneded and can be downloaded from mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new Internet Explorer 9 and above are not recommended for use with Blackboard.
Reader for PDF documents
The latest version of Adobe Reader is available for free from Adobe at get.adobe.com/reader.
Movie / Audio Player
The latest version of QuickTime, Windows Media Player or RealPlayer, all of which are free downloads.
- QuickTime - http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
- Windows Media Player should come already installed on your new system (if it is Windows)
- RealPlayer - http://www.real.com -- (Note: You want the FREE download of the RealPlayer program. You are not required to download their more expensive player.)
MINIMUM INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (ISP) REQUIREMENTS
You must have access to the Internet via one of the following methods:
- Cable Modem
- We do not recommend dial-up unless it is the only service available in your area.
- If you are using AOL as your Internet Service Provider, do not use the browser that is integrated into AOL when accessing UT systems. This is often a problem. Instead, use AOL to obtain your Internet Connection and then use Internet Explorer to browse the Internet.
Graduate Program in Dental Hygiene
930 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163