UTHSC College of Dentistry Strategic Plan
Mission of the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
To improve human oral health through education, research, clinical care and public service.
Philosophy of the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
The College of Dentistry, a component college of the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center, is committed to the highest standards of achievement in all its programs. In accord with its mission and in the pursuit of excellence, the College of Dentistry values and emphasizes:
- The education and graduation of competent oral health care professionals who are fully prepared with the cognitive, psychomotor and affective skills necessary to manage the oral health care needs of the communities they serve. Specifically included are the analytical and technological skills required to be efficient providers of quality oral health care, to be responsive to future changes in the profession, to be lifetime learners, to advance dental knowledge, and to become leaders in education and organized dentistry.
- An active research program geared to develop and disseminate new knowledge in the basic, behavioral and clinical sciences, with a focus on knowledge which is directly applicable by the general dentist.
- A high quality clinical care program providing comprehensive diagnostic, preventive and treatment services to a diverse patient population using contemporary methods, materials and technology.
- Community service through involvement and leadership in community health-related programs. The College will join in community efforts to educate the public and promote oral health. Service to the profession will include continuing dental education programs, consultative services by faculty, and contributions to the dental literature.
- An educational and patient care environment which facilitates a high level of understanding and sensitivity among faculty, students, staff and patients.
Goals of the University of Tennessee Healthy Science Center College of Dentistry
- Graduate outstanding oral health care professionals
- Provide high quality oral health care
- Promote a robust research program
- Strengthen and expand community outreach
- Ensure a stable infrastructure and support system
Timothy L. Hottel,D.D.S.,M.S.,M.B.A., Dean
Strategic Planning Committee Members
- Dr. Mark Scarbecz, Chair, Assistant Dean for Institutional Affairs
- Mr. Daniel E. Brown, Assistant Dean for Financial Affairs
- Dr. J. Stansill Covington, III, Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs
- Dr. Ed DeSchepper, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
- Dr. Cimera Fortes Ferreira, Faculty President
- Dr. Franklin Garcia-Godoy, Senior Executive Associate Dean for Research
- Dr. Vinay Jain, Faculty (Past) President
- Dr. Mark E. Jensen, Chair, Department of General Practice Dentistry
- Dr. Cesar A. Migliorati, Chair, Curriculum Committee
- Ms. Wanda Patrick, Director of Administration
- Dr. Lynn S. Russell, Chair, Department of Dental Hygiene
- Dr. Jack Seeberg, Associate Dean for Clinical and Extramural Affairs
Dr. Mark Scarbecz, Ph.D.
Office of Academic Affairs
College of Dentistry
875 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-7686
Fax: (901) 448-1625