- A degree from an accredited program in clinical laboratory sciences with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- National certification as a medical technologist or cytotechnologist
- Two years work experience in a clinical laboratory; Tennessee state licensure will be required for any person who will be responsible for the performance of laboratory testing on human samples during the course of the studies. Licensure is available to all persons having a national certification as a medical technologist or cytotechnologist.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): combined score of 1000 on Verbal and Quantitative portions Applications for the GRE are available from:
GRE, Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6000
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
The GRE reporting code for UT, Memphis is 1850
- Three letters of recommendation from previous college instructors or immediate supervisors
- Foreign applicants whose native language is not English must submit results of TOEFL, with minimal score of 550
- Official transcripts sent to the Office of Enrollment Services
- A completed Application Form. This application form requires an essay describing the applicant's career goals. A non-refundable application fee must accompany the application. For forms and further information contact:
Office of Enrollment Services
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
910 Madison Suite 525
Memphis, TN 38163
- You can also apply on the internet by going to UT Memphis Admissions Web Page
- A personal interview is required when all above application items are complete.
- Admissions Committee actions are taken in March and in September each year.
- All application materials must be received and interview completed by:
- September 1 to enroll for Winter-Spring Semester (January-June)
- March 1 to enroll for Summer-Fall Semester (July-December)
- Applicants will generally be notified of action taken by April 20 or by October 20
Guaranteed Enrollment Deposit
Students who accept a place in the Graduate Program in Clinical Laboratory Sciences are required to remit a non refundable enrollment deposit. The amount of the deposit is applied toward payment of the student's fees for the first enrollment period. In the event the applicant fails to enroll, the deposit is non refundable, unless substantial extenuating circumstances can be demonstrated.
Requirements for the M. S. Degree
The following requirements must be satisfied to earn the Master of Science Degree:
- Satisfactory completion of 36 semester hours (SH), which must include 21 SH of core courses; 11-13 SH in specialty concentration courses; and 2-4 SH of elective courses. Students may transfer no more than 8 SH of credit from other colleges or universities.
- Completion of all course with an overall B average. A grade of B or above is required in specialization track courses.
- Satisfactory completion of a practicum and thesis presentation with a final oral examination (minimum of 7 SH) is required.
- The program must be completed within 5 years from the date of matriculation.
Graduate student progress will be reviewed at the end of each semester, including an evaluation of the quality of the academic work and progress toward the degree. Minimum criteria must be met to avoid probation or dismissal.
Graduate Program in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
930 Madison Avenue, Suite 660
Memphis, Tennessee 38163