UTHSC and BMHCC Physical Therapy
Orthopaedic Clinical Residency Program
930 Madison Suite 640
Memphis, TN 38163
The UTHSC and BMHCC Physical Therapy Orthopaedic Clinical Residency Program is credentialed by the American Physical Therapy Association as a post-professional residency program for physical therapists in Orthopaedics.
The Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Tennessee in cooperation with Baptist Medical Health Care Corporation offers a Physical Therapy Orthopaedic Clinical Residency Program. Residency programs are a planned program designed to advance significantly the skills and knowledge of physical therapists in the area of orthopaedics. The Residency program is 12 months with residents starting the first of July and completing the program the end of June. Residents complete didactic requirements in a web-based format as well as in an on-campus format. The clinical aspect occurs at a Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation facility in the Memphis area and in the faculty practice at UTHSC. Academic and clinical mentors guide residents throughout the entire program. Residents meet the requirements for the Orthopaedic Specialty Certification examination at the conclusion of the program. Currently licensed physical therapists and students expecting to graduate from an entry-level physical therapy program prior to July 1 may apply.
The mission of the Residency in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy program is to cultivate physical therapists who demonstrate advanced clinical skills and competencies in orthopaedic clinical practice to become master clinicians prepared for autonomous practice and leadership roles within the profession of physical therapy.
- Faculty and clinical faculty will foster an environment to cultivate highly skilled providers of care for patients/clients with orthopaedic conditions
- Residents will develop skills necessary for autonomous practice
- Residents will be exposed to and participate in clinical research through data collection, data analysis, and the preparation of a professional publication or presentation
- Faculty and clinical faculty will provide a variety of learning experiencing related to orthopaedic physical therapy including radiology and imaging, rheumatology, orthopaedic surgery, and family practice
- Residents will develop an understanding of the medical management of orthopaedic disorders including orthopaedic surgery, rheumatology, sports medicine, physiatry, and family practice
- Residents will engage in collaboration, coordination, and consultation with other health care professionals, government agencies, and educational systems for clinically-effective and cost efficient services
- Residents will be prepared to take the Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Certified Specialist Examination
Benefits of the UTHSC Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Affiliated with Baptist Medical Health Care Corporation
- Multiple locations to ensure exposure to all aspects of orthopaedic physical therapy
- Acute inpatient as well as outpatient experiences
- Multidisciplinary interactions
- Employed by UTHSC with competitive salary and benefits
- Teaching experience – lecture and laboratory
- Grand rounds with medical residents
- Multiple didactic and clinical mentors
- Variety of clinical specialists (orthopaedics, manual, sports, hand, TMD, geriatrics)
- Clinical research opportunities
- Beginning November 2013, all application materials must be submitted through RF-PTCAS.
- Application materials are due January 15 each year.
- Current license to practice physical therapy in the United States.
- APTA membership, Section on Orthopedics
- CPR certification
- Immunization record (Hep B, tetanus, TB, etc.)
- Three completed recommendation forms from licensed physical therapists.
- Personal Letter for Admission
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- Proof of health insurance (if UTHSC benefit is to be waived)
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- Resident contact information
Pamela D. Ritzline, Ed.D., P.T.
Director of Postprofessional Programs
Department of Physical Therapy
UTHSC College of
Allied Health Sciences
930 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163