The University of Tennessee Family Medicine Residency Program-Jackson offers 4-week medical student clerkships. The following protocol is given to clerkship participants:
- You will have to complete HIPAA training through our hospital and provide a background check and proof of liability insurance before your clerkship begins.
- You will be given a copy of the conference schedule and we encourage attendance at all conferences. We would like for you to participate fully in these conferences. Please ask questions-we are here to help you learn.
- Most mornings, you will participate in "turnover" at the Hospital and afterwards you will go with the Inhouse team residents to make rounds on the hospitalized patients.
- You will be assigned time at the Family Medicine Clinic to see patients. The nursing supervisor will assign you to patients. You will see these patients, take a history and physical, make a diagnosis or a plan for diagnostic tests and/or treatment, then present the patient to the resident or faculty preceptor with whom you are assigned.
- We have daily teaching rounds with the Inhouse team. You are encouraged to attend these rounds whenever you are not in clinic. Our learning center is also available at the Hospital for study. Dr. Ellis also gives lecture to all medical students on Tuesday afternoon beginning at 1:00 p.m. in which you are required to attend.
- You are encouraged to participate in at least one Night Clinic and Call with our residents during your clerkship. It is suggested that you coordinate a night clinic in conjunction with your night of hospital call. When you begin, you will be given a copy of the residents call schedule for the month you are here.
- You will be provided a room at one of the local hotels for all nights (excluding weekends for UT students). There are also call rooms at the hospital designed for residents and medical students. Some lunches are provided free of charge or you may purchase meals at a discounted price in the Hospital cafeteria.
We hope that your experience here will be a productive one and we encourage you to participate in all aspects of our program.
Family Medicine Residency Program-Jackson
294 Summar Ave
Jackson, TN 38301-3983
Phone: (731) 423-1932
Fax: (731) 410-0369