2015 Summer Educational Research Fellowship (SERF) for Medical Students
In general, interns will perform any number of tasks associated with a medical educational research project, such as performing a literature review, being involved with data collection, conducting various analyses, preparing a proposal for a conference, drafting a research report, and documenting the study. All interns will create and give presentations about their projects at the end of the internship period.
General Eligibility Criteria
Interns in this eight-week program will participate in research under the guidance of a SERF mentor in any of these areas:
- educational measurement and psychometrics
- educational psychology
- learning theory
- teaching and classroom research
Interns will also participate in seminars and workshops on a variety of topics. Each intern is required to give a brief presentation about their project at the conclusion of the internship.
- April 1, 2015 - Application deadline
- April 17, 2015 - Applicants are notified of selection decision
- 8 weeks: June 8th, 2014 - July 30, 2015 (Monday-Thursday)
Note: Participation in the SERF program is a full-time commitment. No other outside obligations [i.e., summer school, week long vacations, or work] are permitted during the summer. We realize, however, that unusual circumstances sometimes arise and exceptions may need to be made. Any exceptions to the start and end dates are subject to prior approval.
- $2,000 salary
- All SERF participants will receive travel funds to attend a conference of their choice.
- Current full-time enrollment in medical school.
- Successful completion of at least one year of coursework toward an M.D. degree prior to the program start date.
The main criteria for selection will be scholarship and the match of applicant interests and experience with participating SERF mentors and projects. No one criterion will determine acceptance or rejection. All criteria will be considered collectively in the selection of applicants.
Direct any questions about the SERF program to:
Attn: Constance Tucker
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Graduate Medical Education
910 Madison Ave., Suite 1031
Memphis, TN 38163