Resident Selection Guidelines
Medical Education: Only the following individuals will be considered as applicants in residency programs in the University of Tennessee Graduate Medical Education Program:
- Graduates of Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)-approved U.S. and Canadian Medical Schools.
- Graduates of American Osteopathic Association (AOA) accredited Osteopathic Medical Schools.
- International Medical Graduates who have valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificates or who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
Visa Status: Visa status for International Medical Graduates must fall within the following categories:
- Eligible to seek J-1 visa
- Permanent Resident or Alien status (i.e., "Greencard")
- In accordance with University of Tennessee Graduate Medical Education guidelines, this program does not sponsor residents for "H" type visas.
Application Process & Interviews
- All applications will be processed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
- Opportunities for interviews will be extended to applicants based on their qualifications as determined by USMLE scores, medical school performance, and letters of recommendation.
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) & Rank Order Process
- This program participates in the NRMP MATCH.
- All interviewed applicants will be considered for ranking in the MATCH in order of preference based on the following criteria: USMLE scores, medical school performance, letters of recommendation, residents' and faculty perceptions during interviews, determination of communications skills, motivation and integrity via interviews. Letters of recommendation from UT faculty will be given high consideration.
- Characteristics such as gender, age, religion, color, national origin, disability or veteran status will not be used in the selection procedure. (The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/TitleVI/Title IX/section 504/ADA/ADEA employer.)
- Recommendations of all interviewing faculty and residents will be considered in determining the rank order of the interviewed applicants.
Appointments will be issued to all matched applicants who meet eligibility requirements.
- Following release of the MATCH results, attempts will be made to fill any vacant positions in accordance with the terms of the UTGSM Institutional Agreement with the NRMP.
- Letters of Agreement for all positions will be issued through the Graduate Medical Education Office following a review of eligibility.
Internal Medicine Residency Program
956 Court Avenue, Room H314
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Toll Free: 800-733-1846
Susan Andrews, Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please expect a two week turnaround time.