2012 Hypertension Research Day
E. Eric Muirhead Hypertension Research Day
Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012
E.P. and Kate Coleman North Auditorium
UTHSC Hosts Eric E. Muirhead Hypertension Research Day
On November 14, the Cardiovascular-Renal Center at UTHSC will present the E. Eric Muirhead Hypertension Research Day in Room A117 of the UTHSC Coleman Building. Hypertension Research Day started in 1987 as a symposium honoring Dr. E. Eric Muirhead to commemorate his numerous contributions to hypertension research and the medical community. It has now grown into an annual special event.
The program provides leading information in cardiovascular research, stimulates collaboration between laboratories at UTHSC and the institutions of the guest speakers and leads to new ideas for research, treatment and drug design. This year, four outstanding speakers will present cutting-edge clinical and basic science lectures. Hypertension Research Day has been approved for Continuing Medical Education credit and is open to all health science professionals and students.
Leonard Share Young Investigator Awards
The Leonard Share Young Investigator Awards will also be presented during the symposium, one to a clinical fellow (MD) engaged in either clinical or basic science research, and the other to a basic science fellow (PhD) with a maximum of two years postdoctoral research.
For Leonard Share Young Investigator Award application information, contact Michelle Lester in the Department of Physiology at (901) 448-2634, email@example.com.
Hypertension Research Day 2012 Speakers and Topics
8 a.m. to 8:15 a.m.
Welcoming Remarks – Jonathan Jaggar, PhD, Professor of Physiology and Hypertension Research Day Committee chair
8:15 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- GRAND ROUNDS LECTURE
- “Thrombotic Consequences of Metabolic Syndrome”
- Presenter: John A. Oates, MD, Thomas F. Frist, Sr. Professor of Medicine & Professor of Pharmacology
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
9:15 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- LEONARD SHARE LECTURE
- “Sex differences in control of blood pressure”
- Presenter: Jane F. Reckelhoff, Ph.D., Billy S. Guyton Distinguished Professor
- Director – Women’s Health Research Center, University of Mississippi Medical Center
10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- E. ERIC MUIRHEAD LECTURE
- “Identification of Cullin-3 as a Regulator of Vascular Function and Arterial Pressure”
- PresenteR: Curt D. Sigmund, Ph.D., Roy J. Carver Chair in Hypertension Research
- Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacology, Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa
11:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- UTHSC LECTURE
- “Synchronicity of Prehypertension and Prediabetes – Data from a Memphis Biracial Cohort”
- Presenter: Sam Dagogo-Jack, MD, Mullins Professor & Director, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis
Wednesday, November 14
8:00 AM UTHSC Campus
Coleman North Auditorium
956 Court Ave. Map
Memphis, TN 38163